Town Affordable Housing Committees
Each of the six towns has its own affordable housing committee, and these have created many affordable and community housing projects. Each town participates in the Community Preservation Act, providing vital funds for housing initiatives. Five towns adopted Municipal Affordable Housing Trust Funds, allowing them to accept donations of land and money for housing.
Other Vineyard Housing Organizations
- Dukes County Regional Housing Authority The DCRHA is a publicly chartered local housing authority that provides year-round housing options for the residents of Dukes County and assists Island towns and organizations in the development of increased rental and homeownership opportunities. It is funded by all six Island towns, owns or manages 71 rental units, runs a rental assistance program, and provides a wide range of housing support services to the Island.
- Island Elderly Housing IEH provides 165 rental units for very low income seniors and non-elderly disabled, subsidized through HUD and USDA.
- Island Housing Trust The IHT is a community based non-profit organization whose mission is the development and permanent stewardship of land for affordable housing through long-term ground leasing. It owned 52 permanently affordable units as of 2014.
- Habitat for Humanity of Martha’s Vineyard Habitat relies heavily on volunteers, both professional and novice and partners with local groups to build simple, decent houses for deserving Island families. As of 2014, it had created 11 affordable homes.
- Wampanoag Tribal Housing Authority The Authority manages 33 units of rental housing for members of the federally-recognized tribe in Aquinnah.
- Vineyard Housing Office The Vineyard Housing Office provides both a resource for Islanders addressing their need for year-round housing and a collaborative focus for individuals and groups working to create affordable housing opportunities on Martha's Vineyard. Located at 346 State Road in Vineyard Haven.
- Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development
- US Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Citizens' Housing and Planning Association