Grid modernization (GM) is key to achieving the Island’s climate change mitigation goals (a 100% renewable energy system by 2040) and climate adaptation goals (reliability and resilience in the face of ever-increasing climate risks). GM is a broad subject. For this meeting we have a narrower local focus - grid reliability (how often the grid fails), its resilience (how long does it take to recover), community resilience (how we can maintain critical functions and community safety when grid failures occur), and sustainability of our energy supply (elimination of fossil fuels).
Questions / Discussion Topics
- Does Eversource have a long-range grid modernization plan, and can you share it? Does Eversource have an active R&D program for GM (for example, the use of advanced software and hardware for managing the local grid)?
- The deployment of Advanced Metering infrastructure is well known to allow greater customer control of their energy use and cost as well as utility benefits such as lower peaking requirements. What are Eversource’s plans for Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) and time-dependent rates?
- In our previous meetings, we discussed at length the issue of interconnection of DERs (for both community and individually owned equipment). We did not cover in any detail existing and emerging technologies such as bidirectional EV charging and smart home energy controllers. When can we expect to see these new technologies deployed for the Eversource grid?
- Microgrids are recognized as a key advancement for community electricity resilience (as well lowering the cost of that resilience). What are Eversource’s plans for supporting microgrids?
- What are the key infrastructure upgrades that you foresee for communities (such as ours) that are forecasting significant increases in electricity use and are perhaps the most impacted by climate change? Can the up-Island “last mile” connections and the Chappaquiddick region be strengthened / hardened?
- Would you be willing to work with us as a partner for piloting some of these advanced concepts?
- What are we missing in our thinking about our energy future?
Topic: Eversource - MVC Climate Action Task Force
Time: Feb 4, 2022 09:30 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 852 4275 4418
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,85242754418#,,,,*212690# US (Chicago)
+16465588656,,85242754418#,,,,*212690# US (New York)
Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 852 4275 4418
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kcodJfHKA